Thursday, July 18, 2013

Purple Mangetout


I tried out a new variety of mangetout this year, called 'Mangetout Shiraz' from Thompson & Morgan. I sowed them outside in our small, raised bed, in May or June, and we have been harvesting them daily for the last couple of weeks. The colour of the flowers and pods is beautiful and makes them easy to spot amongst the green leaves.



The purple colour becomes a dark green mixed with purple when they are cooked. We have eaten them blanched, cooled and added to salad; steamed as a side vegetable with butter; and added to pasta for the last 2 - 3 minutes of cooking and served with pesto: delicious! They would also be great in stir fries.


2 comments:

Caro said...

Hi, found you through your comment on my blog! I love pesto pasta with garden veg, such a simple delicious meal. Your beans look great - I grew these last year but didn't get round to it this year - I promise to be more organised next year!!
PS Love your textile work and buttons (I have a button and crochet obsession myself but don't write about it - yet!)

Julia K Walton - Fire Horse Textiles said...

Hi Caro

Thank you for dropping by and for your kind comment :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...