Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Zip Wire Fun

Rob and I had a go on the 'UK's longest zip wire' yesterday, at Laggan Outdoor Centre, SW Scotland.

It poured with rain on the journey over, but had cleared up by the time we arrived. You get kitted out at the base camp, with harness and embarrassing safety hat, before being conveyed in a small group up to the top of the hill in a landrover.

Looking smug, with my hat at a jaunty angle before the descent.

 

The starting platform with instructors preparing the safety equipment.



I had thought that I would be scared, because I am not a great one for heights, but it was fine. I was more worried about dropping my camera, because I had decided to take photos during the descent. We were told that it would be okay as long as we held on with the other hand. It takes about five minutes to get strapped tightly into place with a safety rope and assorted clips, before the five second count down. The red circle in the photo below shows where we will end up (hopefully).

 We're off!


You travel quite fast on the initial descent and have views over the surrounding fields as far as the sea. I spun round and was travelling backwards for some reason, so I could see Rob following on behind me.



It was over very quickly and we had to go through the unclipping process still in the air, before being lowered to the ground. Here's someone else having a go. The last section is much flatter, so that you slow down before getting to the end!



It was good fun and an interesting experience. There are other outdoor activities to take part in, such as grass boarding, clay pigeon shooting, archery, segway tours, and getting rolled downhill in a giant ball (!).

You have to book in advance for the zip wire as they have been fully booked every day. Also the rides can be cancelled if it is very windy, so check in advance of travel that it is still on. The ride costs £15 for one go, £25 for two (per person).

3 comments:

Colours and Textures said...

Great fun!I did that in the Yorks Dales tho it was shorter than that.

purplestevie said...

Not sure i could do that i too hate heights.
Beleive it or not the " please prove you are not a robot prompt" was 4 flying! very apt for the post.

Julia K Walton - Fire Horse Textiles said...

Thanks for dropping by ladies! I think I would try it again without the camera, so that I could enjoy the views more.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...