Friday, February 08, 2019

Political Caricatures - Hand Hooked Wall Art

I have started a small series of hand hooked wall art pieces, that are based on my caricature drawings of politicians.

I start by making numerous small, representational drawings of the person in question, then start to evolve a more cartoon-like version (examples of the latter, below):-


I sometimes make a digital version of a black and white line version so that I can explore different colour palettes. I make a full size template to work from, although both colours and other features may change at the hooking stage!

 
I source appropriate textiles (many recycled or off-cuts) and other materials (such as yarn or wool tops) to suit the chosen colours. The fabrics are laundered, and hand cut into strips for hooking. Each loop is individually pulled through the backing fabric (hessian, in this case) using a tool with a hook on the end.

After the hooking is completed (I normally take a week or two of evenings to complete a piece of this size), further embellishments (such as the paper string 'hair', and glass bead eyes in the piece below) are attached.

Next comes a stiffening, double layer of mount board, and thick wool felt for the backing. A label and hanging loop are also added before the sides are neatened with a yarn or fabric strip and hand stitched border.

I have made two versions of 'Trump': the first, a papier mâché one, has already gone to its natural home in the US, the second one is a hooked version.

"Trump" hand hooked wall art

"Rees-Mogg" hand hooked wall art

"Johnson" hand hooked wall art

"May" hand hooked wall art

I don't very often work with figures/people, so this has been an interesting challenge!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...