Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Sketchbook: Trying Out New Media, and Making Simplified Versions

On a trip to Melrose yesterday, I found some Neocolor II watersoluble crayons/pastels in a charity shop. I thought I would try them out in a few sketches. The colour glides onto the page like wax crayon, but is soluble in water. I think that the advantage over watercolour is that you could take them with you and make a quick colour reference sketch on the go, without the need for water. Back at home, you could add water if appropriate. The Ultramarine pastel turned out to be from the Neocolor I range and barely dissolved at all.



These are a couple of earlier sketches taken from a photograph I took in Mungrisdale in Cumbria.

The left hand sketch is made with coloured pencils - quite hard to get any depth of colour or tonal variation. The right hand sketch is made with my current favourite: POSCA pens. They are very opaque, with strong pigmentation. I just have a set of 15 pens with the 1.8 - 2.5mm tip, which forces me to simplify forms and colour choices, and forget too much detail.




Some more POSCA pen sketches taken from my photos of plants and jackdaws. I'm trying to evolve almost abstract representations to use in my artwork. There may be one or two useable ideas amongst the scribbles!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...